Thursday, August 30, 2012

Artists who use Line

I love the lines that Franz Marc uses in his artwork. I like the curving lines on both tigers and how the main tiger's head curves into the body. I like how he has a variety of lines; thick lines for the stripes, thin lines for whiskers, and negative, white lines within the large black shapes.I also like how lines continue from one shape into other shapes. I wonder how many prints of this he made? By using such strong, bold lines he really makes the tiger look powerful. the strong contrast between white and black also adds to the powerrful feeling, it looks like a strong animal.

 

I also love Leonardo Da Vinci's drawings of horses. I love hoe realistic he has drawn the animals. I love the delicate, softness of the lines and the movement of the gesture. I love how multiple perspectives and how the drawings overlap each other. I am envious of the control he has with the cross-hatching and how he gets a great sense of depth to the horses. I love hoe he can capture the emotion of the animal and I love seeing his drawing process, how I can see those initial marks and how he re-draws.

1 comment:

denise said...

really interesting comparison!! 2 totally different techniques to describe/illustrate powerful animals!